Babies grow out of things so quickly–including toys! It can be hard to figure out what to get her that she won’t toss aside after a couple months (or even a couple uses!).
So to kick off this holiday season, here are five parent-tested gift ideas for your baby (boy or girl), that you have a good shot will engage him for at least a few years to come:
1) A Play Kitchen. This worthwhile investment has created hours upon hours of fun in our household from age one to age four. There are many nice options out there, but Hape makes a great one: Playfully Delicious Gourmet Kitchen.
2) This Melissa & Doug Shopping Cart. It starts as a nice push toy for new walkers (it’s not the most stable, so make sure you’re little one is decently steady first), and will grow into a favorite toy for pretend play.
3) A Tea Set. I’ve never met a toddler that didn’t love a good tea party (boys and girls!). It’s a fun way to pass the time and promotes fine motor skills too. All it takes is a small pot of herbal tea, and a side of cookies or dried fruits, and most toddlers will be in heaven. Any cute set will probably do, but if you’re looking for a nice one, check out: Fruit Garden Tin Tea Party Set for Kids.
4) The Melissa & Doug Deluxe Latches Board. This puzzle-like activity grows with your child. They can master different latches at different ages and the surprises behind the doors never seem to get old.
5) Finger Paint. Early on this activity can be messy, but no matter what age, finger-painting always seems to be a big hit with young children! Try: Crayola Washable Fingerpaints for painting success that’s also super easy to wash off.